The Union of NGOs of the Islamic World (UNIW), through its International Family Institute (UAE) had organized a 2nd Workshop in 2019, held at SETA Headquarters on 19th October 2019, Saturday. More than thirty bureaucrats, experts, academicians and representatives of non-governmental organizations had participated in the workshop.
The workshop started with Quran recitation and an opening speech by the Secretary General of UNIW, Atty. Ali Kurt. The Secretary General started his speech by saying, “We wish to consult with our esteemed participants regarding the recent agendas, particularly on every aspect of the Istanbul Convention”. The Secretary General then proceeds to read the agendas of the workshop.
Afterwards, the Secretary General invited the Co-Chairman of UNIW’s Commission on Women, Family and Youth (KAGE) to the podium, to give information on the activities carried out by UAE since its first 2019 workshop. Dr. Rabiye Yilmaz then presented the activities carried out in 2019;
- Supporting the “We Are All Mary” program organized by UKAED.
- Meeting with Youth NGOs.
- Participated in the symposium on “Rights to Protection of the Family” organized by Human Rights and Equality Institution of Turkey.
- Participated in the 7th Family Council under the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services.
- Visited Turkey’s Minister of Family, Labor and Social Services, Mdm. Zehra Zumrut Selcuk.
- Visit to Malaysia: International Muslim Women Union’s Council Meeting; visited the Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dr. Wan Azizah Wan Ismail; met with the Vice Rector of the International Islamic University of Malaysia (IIUM) Dr. Nor Faridah Abdul Manaf; visited Turkey’s Ambassador to Malaysia, Dr. Merve Safa Kavakci.
- Meeting with the Head of Strategy Department for Turkey’s Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services, Mdm. Zeliha Saglam; and the General Manager of Family and Community Services, Mr. Ali Cevik.
Following the presentation by Dr. Rabiye Yilmaz, Mdm. Ayse Guney made her presentation on the Istanbul Convention.
The workshop continues with discussion among the participants, regarding Istanbul Convention, Law No.6284, and recent developments of Turkey.
In the second session, the role for active participation of NGOs with family-oriented activities in international institutions were discussed. Participation of NGOs that are working on women, family and youth issues into international institutions and international platforms were also discussed.
The 2nd UAE Workshop in 2019 was ended with group photo session.